First toll-free helpline for disabled launched
Kolkata: Now help is only a phone call away for people with speech and hearing disabilities in the eastern part of the country with the launch of a toll-free helpline on Tuesday, the first in this region.
Ushering the International Day of People with Disability, Bengal Speech and Hearing Aid Pvt Ltd (BSHPL), the largest chain of clinics for hearing and speech disability patients in this part of the country, kicked-off the venture here.
"Previously the disabled were not able to access information due to lack of such measures. But now with the helpline, they can get any information they want," said audiologist and speech language pathologist Somenath Mukherjee, managing director, BSHPL.
The Persons With Disability Act (PWD), 1995 extends equal status and opportunities for participation of people with different abilities.
However, due to a dearth of information, the speech and hearing-disabled people have not been able to exercise their rights.
"For anyone seeking any kind of help in the form of information on treatment, clinics and even information regarding the rights provided by the PWD Act of 1995, this toll-free number would come as a form of genuine assistance," said Mukherjee.
The helpline number is 180030001620.
The relatives and friends of people with speech and hearing disability can call and enquire on their behalf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Parliament video: Speaker forms 9-member probe panel, asks Bhagwant Mann not to attend House
- Impressed with Narendra Modi; India is in safe hands under his government - Praises by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery
- Kolkata: Boy found killed after party at Amit Chaudhuri's house, author denies knowing him