First toll-free helpline for disabled launched
Kolkata: Now help is only a phone call away for people with speech and hearing disabilities in the eastern part of the country with the launch of a toll-free helpline on Tuesday, the first in this region.
Ushering the International Day of People with Disability, Bengal Speech and Hearing Aid Pvt Ltd (BSHPL), the largest chain of clinics for hearing and speech disability patients in this part of the country, kicked-off the venture here.
"Previously the disabled were not able to access information due to lack of such measures. But now with the helpline, they can get any information they want," said audiologist and speech language pathologist Somenath Mukherjee, managing director, BSHPL.
The Persons With Disability Act (PWD), 1995 extends equal status and opportunities for participation of people with different abilities.
However, due to a dearth of information, the speech and hearing-disabled people have not been able to exercise their rights.
"For anyone seeking any kind of help in the form of information on treatment, clinics and even information regarding the rights provided by the PWD Act of 1995, this toll-free number would come as a form of genuine assistance," said Mukherjee.
The helpline number is 180030001620.
The relatives and friends of people with speech and hearing disability can call and enquire on their behalf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened