First Urdu law dictionary released
Mumbai: `Kanoon Lugat`, an Urdu law dictionary, billed as a first of its kind in the country, was released here today in the presence of legal luminaries.
The dictionary, encompassing 52,000 legal terms, has been translated in Urdu for the first time, said chief translator and Supreme Court advocate Muhammad Irshad Hanif, at a function here.
Advocate Hanif has also translated Indian Penal Code and Indian Evidence Act in Urdu, besides publishing two books `Taziraat-e-Hind` and `Qanoon Shahadat-e-Hind`.
The Urdu legal dictionary has a foreword written by Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir. Though the dictionary is focused on the Indian legal system, it will have wide usage even in the international sphere, Hanif said.
"Justice (retd) Markandey Katju has been very kind enough to pen a foreword for the translations of the laws, which has been a matter of great encouragement," Hanif told mediapersons here.
Top criminal lawyer Majeed Memon said these three translations would greatly benefit the legal fraternity.
"In my four decades in the legal career, I have never come across any law books in Urdu and this should help us all," Memon said.
Jamiat Ulama-e-Maharashtra legal panel member, lawyer Shahid N Ansari said this is the first time that line-to-line translation of the two laws is available in Urdu.
"It will immensely help the legal fraternity, especially the litigants to understand the legal nuances in their cases in courts," Ansari said.
With these books, the litigants would be more empowered with correct knowledge of the laws and would be in a better position to understand their lawyers, rights and liabilities, as well as the legal proceedings in the courts, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre