First `Wagah in the East` to come up along Indo-Bangla border
New Delhi: It will be the first `Wagah in the East` and in a month`s time troops from India and Bangladesh along the frontier will be performing `retreat` ceremony by lowering flags.
Soldiers of BSF and Border Guards Bangladesh (BGB) in full regalia will perform `retreat`--ceremonial lowering of flags--along the Petrapole (India)-Benapole (Bangladesh) frontier, similar to the tradition prevalent along the India-Pakistan border.
Both the countries have begun creating infrastructure for visitors on their respective side to witness the event in the evening, Border Security Force (BSF) chief Subhash Joshi said on Friday. It will be more "friendly and refined" than the foot-stomping, high-energy drill at the Wagah-Attari border, he said.
"We have decided that in a phased manner we will have joint retreat ceremony at various places starting with Petrapole-Benapole border. The drills are being worked out and within a month it should be in place," Joshi said while interacting with journalists at the end of five-day talks with BGB here.
A 23-member BGB delegation, led by their Director General (DG) Maj Gen Aziz Ahmed, is in Delhi for bi-annual talks between the two forces.
The ceremony will be held at three other places in the east. They are Changrabandha-Burimari border (Tripura area) and Akhaura and Phulbari-Banglabandha frontiers (West Bengal area) which are part of the 4,096-km Indo-Bangla border.
The proposal was first mooted during a similar meeting between the border guarding forces here in 2011.
BSF, according to a senior officer, would also deploy its women personnel to participate in the event along the Petrapole-Benapole border.
India and Pakistan have been traditionally hosting the flag-lowering ceremony at the Wagah-Attari border and the event is attended by a large number of people from both the countries as well as foreign nationals.
Greetings and gifts are exchanged by officials at this frontier on occasions like Independence Day and festivals like Diwali, Holi and Eid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe