Fisherman`s death: US assures India of thorough probe
Washington: Seeking to assuage the apprehensions of India, the United States has assured that it would conduct a "thorough and independent" probe into the death of Indian fisherman and would "keep it apprised of full facts of the incident."
Earlier, the US had confirmed that shots fired by its Navy vessel killed the Indian and injured three more off a Dubai port on July 16.
The message was conveyed by the US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, Wendy Sherman, in a meeting with the Indian Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, on July 18, according to an embassy statement issued yesterday.
"US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy R Sherman met Ambassador Rao on July 18 to convey her personal condolences and deep regrets for those Indian nationals killed and injured," it said.
"Under Secretary Sherman conveyed that the US Government was investigating the incident in a thorough and independent manner and would keep the Indian Government apprised of full facts of the incident," the Embassy said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler