Fisherman`s death: US assures India of thorough probe
Washington: Seeking to assuage the apprehensions of India, the United States has assured that it would conduct a "thorough and independent" probe into the death of Indian fisherman and would "keep it apprised of full facts of the incident."
Earlier, the US had confirmed that shots fired by its Navy vessel killed the Indian and injured three more off a Dubai port on July 16.
The message was conveyed by the US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, Wendy Sherman, in a meeting with the Indian Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, on July 18, according to an embassy statement issued yesterday.
"US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy R Sherman met Ambassador Rao on July 18 to convey her personal condolences and deep regrets for those Indian nationals killed and injured," it said.
"Under Secretary Sherman conveyed that the US Government was investigating the incident in a thorough and independent manner and would keep the Indian Government apprised of full facts of the incident," the Embassy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH