Fishermen killing: India rejects Italy’s position, demands return of marines
New Delhi: In a major embarrassment to the UPA government, Italy has gone back on its word to send two marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, charged with killing of two fishermen off the Kerala coast, back to India to face trial. New Delhi has so far been guarded in its response.
Here is the live coverage of the developments in the case:
8:57 pm: BJP will move a Calling Attention Motion on Wednesday in both Houses of Parliament on Italy`s refusal to send back the duo who had killed two Indian fishermen.
8:34 pm: The Italian government has gone back on its undertaking to the Supreme Court by refusing to send back its two marines, says Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran.
7:19 pm: India demands return of two Italian marines; rejects position of Italian Government.
7:15 pm: "This is betrayal and bluff by the Italian government.It is a breach of trust between two sovereign nations and the act is completely unacceptable," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
5:15 pm: Senior Lawyer Harish Salve refuses to appear for Italian government or Ambassador.
4:16 pm: Kerala will explore legal options to ensure justice to the kin of the deceased fishermen, says Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
3:40 pm: India summons Italian envoy in marines case.
2:30 pm: Kerala CM Oomen Chandy says he is coming to Delhi tonight and has sought appointments with the PM and External Affairs Minister.
2:05 pm: Solicitor General says that Italy has to send the marines back to face trial in India.
1:50 pm: Italy has said they will go to any international court to discuss the matter with India, reports Italian Journalist Maurizo Salvi.
1:20 pm: PM assured us that diplomatic channels will be used through the External Affairs Ministry to bring Italian marines to justice, says Chacko.
1:20 pm: Shocked that the Italian govt has decided not to send the Italian marines back, says Congress’ PC Chacko.
12:45 pm: Salman Khurshid reportedly says Italy did not share prior information with India.
12:30 pm: The Ministry of Law and the MEA will consult each other and take a decision soon, says Law Minister Ashwani Kumar.
12:25 pm:New Delhi to summon Italian envoy to India, say reports.
12:05 pm: External Affairs Minister Khurshid says there will be a lawful response.
12:01 pm: Will discuss the issue with the External Affairs Minister and look into the matter, PM tells Left MPs from Kerala.
12:00 noon: PM Manmohan Singh says it is unacceptable for Italy to refuse to send back marines.
11:20 am: It’s a part of the conspiracy of the Indian government. Won`t let the House function till the government answers on it, says Tarun Vijay of the BJP.
11.10 am: Dead Indian fisherman`s wife seeks justice, says the two Italian marines must be brought back to India to stand trial.
10: 53 am: This is alarming news. We sense some conspiracy in this, says KN Balagopal of the CPM
10:50 am: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy terms as unacceptable Italy`s decision not to send its two marines to India, says he will take up the issue with the MEA.
10:49 am: First Quattrochi and now these Italian Marines. It looks like a collusion between the Indian and Italian govt, says Balbir Punj of the BJP.
10:35 am: BJP moves for the suspension of question hour in parliament over Italian Marines issue.
10:34 am: MEA has taken view of this and they will review it and talk to their Italian counterpart, says Tariq Anwar, MoS, Agriculture.
9:35 am: We will read the letter sent by the Italian government and then decide the future course of action, says External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid. There’s no point in commenting without reading what they have to say, he adds.
12:50 am: MEA receives communication on Italian Marines from Italy, is examining the same.
12:35 am: Italian Foreign Ministry tells Indian govt that the two Italian marines who killed Indian fishermen will not return to India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception