Fishermen killing: Italian marines to return to India today
New Delhi: The two Italian marines facing trial for killing two Indian fishermen last year will arrive in India by Friday.
On Thursday evening, External Affairs spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said in a tweet post, "Following diplomatic contacts #Italy informed that Marines will return to #India in accordance with timeline provided to Supreme Court".
"The two sailor will start tonight (Thursday) for India," the Italian government said in a statement.
"The Italian government requested and received written assurances from the Indian authorities regarding the treatment of the marines and the protection of their fundamental rights," the government said in a statement.
Italian Ambassador Daniele Mancini had given an undertaking to the Supreme Court that marines - Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone - would return to India by March 22 after voting in the elections.
But on March 11, the Italian embassy informed India that they would not be sending the marines back to face trial, leading to a diplomatic standoff with Italy. The ambassador was restrained by the apex court from leaving India.
Earlier on Thursday, Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti, along with Defence Minister Giampaolo Di Paola and Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Steffan de Mistura jointly assessed the Italian position on the issue.
"In light of the assurances received, the Government has considered the opportunity, in the interests of Fusiliers Marina, to maintain the commitment made at the permission to participate in the vote back in India by March 22," the statement said.
"The marines agreed to this decision," it added.
Last week, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh termed as "unacceptable" Italy`s refusal to send its two marines back to India and said the issue will be taken up with that country.
India had withheld posting of its Ambassador-designate Basant Kumar Gupta to Rome and the Indian government had said further steps will be taken after completion of the review of bilateral ties with Italy.
On January 18, the apex court had turned down the Italian government`s plea that the Indian courts had no jurisdiction in the case and had held that the two marines should be tried a special court constituted by the Centre.
It had directed that the two be shifted to Delhi and would remain under its `custody` till the special court is set up.
The Italian marines were on anti-pirate duty aboard cargo ship Enrica Lexie off India`s coast in Kerala last year in February when they shot the two fishermen, mistaking them to be pirates.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt