Fishermen killing row: Italian FM hopes for `fair solution` for marines
London: Italy`s new Foreign Minister Emma Bonino on Tuesday said she hopes the case of two Italian marines awaiting trial in India for allegedly killing two Indian fishermen would reach a "fair, positive and acceptable solution."
It was Bonino`s second statement on the drawn-out affair, which has put Italy and India at loggerheads.
On April 29, after being sworn in, she said she was certain an agreement would be found for the marines - Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone.
"India is a great country, and one of rights. Our countries need to listen to each other," she said.
Speaking during her first trip outside Italy, to a Somalia conference here, Bonino hoped the case against the two marines would reach "fair, positive and acceptable solution," Italian news agency ANSA reported.
The two marines were on board Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` when they had allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, last year.
The case is currently being probed by NIA in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’