Fishermen killing row: Italian FM hopes for `fair solution` for marines
London: Italy`s new Foreign Minister Emma Bonino on Tuesday said she hopes the case of two Italian marines awaiting trial in India for allegedly killing two Indian fishermen would reach a "fair, positive and acceptable solution."
It was Bonino`s second statement on the drawn-out affair, which has put Italy and India at loggerheads.
On April 29, after being sworn in, she said she was certain an agreement would be found for the marines - Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone.
"India is a great country, and one of rights. Our countries need to listen to each other," she said.
Speaking during her first trip outside Italy, to a Somalia conference here, Bonino hoped the case against the two marines would reach "fair, positive and acceptable solution," Italian news agency ANSA reported.
The two marines were on board Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` when they had allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, last year.
The case is currently being probed by NIA in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'