Five DD employees suspended, not for ‘theek hai’
New Delhi: Doordarshan has ordered an inquiry and put five of its staffers under suspension after its team failed to reach Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s official residence well in time on Monday to record his speech in connection with the Delhi gangrape incident.
Sources said two camerapersons and three staff members from the engineering wing had been placed under suspension after they turned up late for the recording.
The speech was then recorded by television news agency ANI which was also present for the purpose.
In the speech, the PM had asked people to maintain peace after Sunday`s violent protests. The telecast of the speech on news channels in its unedited form yesterday had triggered online criticism as the PM was heard saying `theek hai` (alright) at the end of his address. The editing error was later corrected.
Sources in the national broadcaster said that the suspension of the five persons was not related to the telecast of the unedited speech but for not reaching the venue on time.
The recording of the speech had taken place at around 9.30 am but the camera crew of the Doordarshan managed to reach at 9.40 am while the engineering staff arrived a few minutes after 10 am yesterday, the sources said.
An official said that crew found it difficult to reach by 9.30 due to traffic restrictions on important roads leading to the 7, Race Course Road residence of the Prime Minister and also because they had been called to come at short notice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi