Five digit train numbers from December
New Delhi: Passengers booking tickets in Mail and Express trains need to add prefix 1 before the existing four-digit numbers while checking the reservation position through the enquiry system.
Aiming at bringing uniformity and logical basis for numbering of trains, the Indian Railways has decided to introduce five-digit numbering system for all passenger trains.
The new five-digit numbering system will be effective from December this year.
Currently, trains have varying numbers including three-digit, four-digit and alpha-numeric ones.
Five-digit train numbering has become necessary as the four-digit system has been exhausted, a senior Railway Ministry official said. However, the official clarified that the names of the trains are not being changed.
The five-digit scheme proposes to cover all passenger carrying trains including Duronto, Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Garibrath and suburban holiday specials. However, it will not cover freight trains.
“CRIS (Centre for Railway Information Systems) has been instructed to make necessary changes to modify the software accordingly,” said the official.
After the software is ready, the new numbers will be reflected in the passenger reservation system and the train enquiry system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?