Five digit train numbers from December
New Delhi: Passengers booking tickets in Mail and Express trains need to add prefix 1 before the existing four-digit numbers while checking the reservation position through the enquiry system.
Aiming at bringing uniformity and logical basis for numbering of trains, the Indian Railways has decided to introduce five-digit numbering system for all passenger trains.
The new five-digit numbering system will be effective from December this year.
Currently, trains have varying numbers including three-digit, four-digit and alpha-numeric ones.
Five-digit train numbering has become necessary as the four-digit system has been exhausted, a senior Railway Ministry official said. However, the official clarified that the names of the trains are not being changed.
The five-digit scheme proposes to cover all passenger carrying trains including Duronto, Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Garibrath and suburban holiday specials. However, it will not cover freight trains.
“CRIS (Centre for Railway Information Systems) has been instructed to make necessary changes to modify the software accordingly,” said the official.
After the software is ready, the new numbers will be reflected in the passenger reservation system and the train enquiry system.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!