Five nuclear energy parks to be set up
Coimbatore: The Centre has given its nod for setting up five nuclear energy parks each with a generation capacity of 10,000 MW, Atomic Energy Commission chairman Srikumar Banerjee on Saturday said.
The parks, each having six to eight reactors, would come up in a phased manner in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and West Bengal, he told reporters here.
Banerjee, here to participate in the convocation of a University, said the new reactors would have top security measures to meet any eventuality.
On the protests against the Jaitapur nuclear power project in Maharasthra, he said the department of atomic energy had answers to all the questions being raised by the people.
However, the agitators were mixing all problems into one, he said.
The authorities would be able to convince the people and take steps to solve their problems, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj