Five-phase Jharkhand Assembly polls from Nov 27
New Delhi: After months of wait, the Election Commission on Friday announced on the dates for Jharkhand Assembly polls.
Polling in the state would begin on Nov 27 and will take place in five phases, ending on December 18.
“Polling will take place on Nov 27, Dec 2, 8, 12 and 18 from seven in the morning to three in the afternoon. The counting will take place on December 23,” Chief Election Commissioner Navin Chawla told reporters.
In graphics: Jharkhand Elections
With the Election Commission announcing the poll schedule, the model code of conduct comes into effect in the state from Friday.
After the approval of Union Cabinet, the 81-member Jharkhand Assembly, which was kept in suspended animation since January this year, was dissolved on Thursday. The cabinet acted on the recommendation of state Governor K. Sankaranarayanan.
Central rule was imposed in Jharkhand on January 19 after the then Chief Minister Shibhu Soren lost a bypoll and had to resign.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had hinted on the dissolution of the state Assembly only yesterday.
"You will hear it in the next few days. We will move for dissolution of the assembly once the Election Commission indicates about the dates. I do not require a recommendation from the governor (for dissolution)," Chidambaram had said.
The announcement comes a day after Congress won a majority of seats in the assembly elections of three states Maharashtra, Haryana and Arunachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted
- Israel says Abbas reviving old `blood libel` against Jews