Fix a time frame for disposal of mercy petitions: Digvijay
Bhopal: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Thursday said there was an urgent need to fix a time limit for disposal of mercy petitions filed before the
President by convicts on the death row.
"The absence of such a time limit for the disposal of mercy petitions leads to a number of unwanted and undesirable things which will be eliminated once they were decided within a fixed time frame," Singh told a news agency here.
It appears that there was something wrong with either the Union Home Ministry or the President`s house because of which no decision is taken on mercy petitions and they remain hanging for a long time, Singh said.
Of late the BJP has been charging the Congress with dilly-dallying on the issue of executing the death sentence to Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, he said, adding, "if my memory served me right, not a single mercy petition was
decided even when senior BJP leader LK Advani was the Home Minister for six years."
Singh said even mercy petitions of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi`s killers had not been decided yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical