Fix a time frame for disposal of mercy petitions: Digvijay
Bhopal: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Thursday said there was an urgent need to fix a time limit for disposal of mercy petitions filed before the
President by convicts on the death row.
"The absence of such a time limit for the disposal of mercy petitions leads to a number of unwanted and undesirable things which will be eliminated once they were decided within a fixed time frame," Singh told a news agency here.
It appears that there was something wrong with either the Union Home Ministry or the President`s house because of which no decision is taken on mercy petitions and they remain hanging for a long time, Singh said.
Of late the BJP has been charging the Congress with dilly-dallying on the issue of executing the death sentence to Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, he said, adding, "if my memory served me right, not a single mercy petition was
decided even when senior BJP leader LK Advani was the Home Minister for six years."
Singh said even mercy petitions of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi`s killers had not been decided yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?