Fix a time frame for disposal of mercy petitions: Digvijay
Bhopal: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Thursday said there was an urgent need to fix a time limit for disposal of mercy petitions filed before the
President by convicts on the death row.
"The absence of such a time limit for the disposal of mercy petitions leads to a number of unwanted and undesirable things which will be eliminated once they were decided within a fixed time frame," Singh told a news agency here.
It appears that there was something wrong with either the Union Home Ministry or the President`s house because of which no decision is taken on mercy petitions and they remain hanging for a long time, Singh said.
Of late the BJP has been charging the Congress with dilly-dallying on the issue of executing the death sentence to Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, he said, adding, "if my memory served me right, not a single mercy petition was
decided even when senior BJP leader LK Advani was the Home Minister for six years."
Singh said even mercy petitions of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi`s killers had not been decided yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand