Fix a time frame for disposal of mercy petitions: Digvijay
Bhopal: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Thursday said there was an urgent need to fix a time limit for disposal of mercy petitions filed before the
President by convicts on the death row.
"The absence of such a time limit for the disposal of mercy petitions leads to a number of unwanted and undesirable things which will be eliminated once they were decided within a fixed time frame," Singh told a news agency here.
It appears that there was something wrong with either the Union Home Ministry or the President`s house because of which no decision is taken on mercy petitions and they remain hanging for a long time, Singh said.
Of late the BJP has been charging the Congress with dilly-dallying on the issue of executing the death sentence to Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, he said, adding, "if my memory served me right, not a single mercy petition was
decided even when senior BJP leader LK Advani was the Home Minister for six years."
Singh said even mercy petitions of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi`s killers had not been decided yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them