Flash floods in Chhattisgarh, Orissa; dry weather in north
New Delhi: Flash floods caused by incessant
rains marooned several parts of Chhattisgarh and Orissa while
in the northern belt, the weather remained mostly dry with
subdued rainfall activity.
Thousands were affected and one person was washed away in
flash floods triggered by torrential rains for the last three
days in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district. Helicopters and boats
were used to rescue people as houses were flattened and
highways cut off.
Similar situation prevailed in Orissa where flash floods
hit Kalahandi, Nabarangpur, Malkangiri, Koraput, Gajapati, and
Balangir districts. About 40,000 people were affected as the
sudden gush of water claimed one life in Malkangiri while
another went missing at Nabaragpur.
The south-west monsoon was also vigorous in Maharashtra
and interior Karnataka.
Meanwhile, sultry weather conditions were experienced in
most parts of Punjab and Haryana with Hisar recording a
maximum temperature of 36.5 deg C, two notches above normal.
The maximum in Chandigarh, which received light showers,
stood at 36 degrees, four above normal, followed by Ludhiana
35.7 deg C and Amritar 34.6 deg C while the high in Karnal,
which recorded 6.6 mm of rains, settled at 34 degrees.
Most parts of Rajasthan received scattered rainfall,
however, the mercury showed a rising trend in the state. While
Chittorgarh received 3.6 mm rainfall, Pratapgarh, Ramsar and
Dabok recorded 10 cm, 9 cm and 8 cm overnight rainfall
Uttar Pradesh, which was lashed by heavy rains in the
past two weeks, saw subdued rainfall activity today. However,
most of the rivers continue to flow close to danger levels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender