Flash floods in Jammu; Capital reels under soaring mercury
New Delhi: Heavy rainfall was today
experienced in Jammu and Kashmir throwing normal life out of
gear while soaring mercury coupled with high humidity made
life difficult for people in some parts of the northern belt
including the national capital.
Many parts of Jammu and Kashmir received downpour that
triggered flash floods, damaging several houses and inundating
low-lying areas, as authorities sounded a high alert. While
over 330 families were shifted to safer localities in Kistwar
district, nearly 250 houses were damaged in Jammu. Chenab and
Tawi rivers are flowing above the danger mark.
Meanwhile, mercury further rose in the national capital
where high humidity added to the woes of Delhiites. The
maximum in the city stood at 37.6 deg C, four notches above
normal, while the minimum too rose by nearly two notches to
settle at 28.4 deg C.
The city recorded no rainfall as the humidity levels
oscillated between 52 and 85 per cent.
Sultry weather conditions prevailed in Haryana and Punjab
region where Hisar endured a hot day at 38.1 deg C, three
notches above normal.
Elsewhere, Amritsar recorded a maximum temperature of
35.5 deg C, up by a degree, followed by Chandigarh 35.3 deg C,
three notches above normal, and Ludhiana, which received 12.3
mm of rains, at 35.2 degrees.
Ambala, which got 23.4 mm rainfall, saw the mercury
settling at 34.3 deg C, four degrees above normal.
Many parts of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan received light
showers. Mount Abu, Dabok and Gadraroad in the desert state
recorded an overnight rainfall of 10 cm, 9 cm and 8 cm
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video