Flaws in Jan Lokpal Bill, can`t get passed: Advani
New Delhi: Some provisions of the Jan Lokpal Bill had inherent flaws and the Parliament would find it difficult to pass it in its present form, senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader LK Advani said on Friday in a candid assessment of the document.
He, however, added that they would lend their support to any strong, anti-corruption legislation.
"I know what are the flaws in the provisions of the Jan Lokpal Bill due to which it will not get passed. And this, I tried to explain to them (Team Anna) yesterday," Advani told a group of students from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) who called on him.
"I also told (Finance Minister) Pranab (Mukherjee) and the government that look, these people are emotionally attached to the title `Jan Lokpal Bill` so assure them whatever be the final shape of the Lokpal bill after amendments, do continue to call it the Jan Lokpal Bill," he said at his residence.
"They (Mukherjee) said we will think about it," said the top BJP leader, adding that his party would support any legislation that was aimed at ending corruption.
"I am 100 percent in support of any law or legislation that aims at ending corruption," he said.
Taking the example of Gujarat, Advani also said that there would be no corruption if the senior leadership was clean and effective.
"Practically speaking, Gujarat does not have any Lokpal bill. But there is no corruption there. Because if the senior leadership is upright and clean, there will be no corruption," he said.
Team Anna met senior BJP leaders, including Advani and Arun Jaitley in the capital late Thursday. Arvind Kejriwal of Team Anna said that the BJP "broadly agreed" to their version of the anti-graft bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly