Flaws in Jan Lokpal Bill, can`t get passed: Advani
New Delhi: Some provisions of the Jan Lokpal Bill had inherent flaws and the Parliament would find it difficult to pass it in its present form, senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader LK Advani said on Friday in a candid assessment of the document.
He, however, added that they would lend their support to any strong, anti-corruption legislation.
"I know what are the flaws in the provisions of the Jan Lokpal Bill due to which it will not get passed. And this, I tried to explain to them (Team Anna) yesterday," Advani told a group of students from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) who called on him.
"I also told (Finance Minister) Pranab (Mukherjee) and the government that look, these people are emotionally attached to the title `Jan Lokpal Bill` so assure them whatever be the final shape of the Lokpal bill after amendments, do continue to call it the Jan Lokpal Bill," he said at his residence.
"They (Mukherjee) said we will think about it," said the top BJP leader, adding that his party would support any legislation that was aimed at ending corruption.
"I am 100 percent in support of any law or legislation that aims at ending corruption," he said.
Taking the example of Gujarat, Advani also said that there would be no corruption if the senior leadership was clean and effective.
"Practically speaking, Gujarat does not have any Lokpal bill. But there is no corruption there. Because if the senior leadership is upright and clean, there will be no corruption," he said.
Team Anna met senior BJP leaders, including Advani and Arun Jaitley in the capital late Thursday. Arvind Kejriwal of Team Anna said that the BJP "broadly agreed" to their version of the anti-graft bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide