Flight departs before time, GoAir told to pay Rs 25,000
New Delhi: GoAir airline has been directed by a consumer forum here to pay Rs 25,000 as compensation to a passenger for not informing him about the early departure of his flight to Delhi from Patna, leaving him and his wife stranded at the airport.
The South West District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum also noted that the couple had to stay at the airport in Patna till the next day`s flight and they were not provided any food or lodging during that period.
The forum observed that as the couple spent two days in journey from Patna to Delhi, "the very purpose of air travel was frustrated".
"We find the complainant had booked two air tickets of opposite party (GoAir) airlines much in advance and on the date of journey had reported in time, but the flight departed before the scheduled time of departure. No reason for early departure was told to the complainant.
"No lodging was provided and complainant and his wife were compelled to spend a night at the airport... Complainant spent two days in journey from Patna to Delhi.
The very purpose of air travel was frustrated. We find gross deficiency in service provided by the airline and complainant is entitled to be reasonably compensated," a bench presided by Narendra Kumar said.
It directed the airline to pay Rs 25,000 as compensation, including litigation charges, to Delhi resident Khursheed Ahmed.
Ahmed in his complaint had alleged that his flight, scheduled to depart at 5:55 PM on December 1, 2010, took off at 3:10 PM, more than two hours before time and he had not been informed about the change in timing.
He and his wife were only accommodated on the next day`s afternoon flight and the intervening hours had to be spent at the airport, as the airline did not provide them with any food or lodging, Ahmed had alleged.
As no one appeared on behalf of the airline, the forum proceeded against them ex-parte.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory