Flood threat persists in Delhi
New Delhi: Heavy rains continued to lash Delhi, inflating the Yamuna river and prompting authorities to shift people living in low-lying areas and near the river bank.
Delhi received 44.10 mm of rainfall in the last 24
hours, which is 19.2 mm more than the previous day, resulting
in the water level of river Yamuna breaching the danger mark.
Yamuna is now flowing at a level of 205.05 metres,
which makes it 22 cm above the danger level of 204.83 metres.
Of the major chunk of the rainfall received in the last 24
hours, an estimated 26.7 mm came between 5:30 pm yesterday to
8:30 am today.
Around 500 people living close to the river bank have
been evacuated and shifted to camps that have been set up in
safer areas, according to officials.
Some 20 camps have been set up to provide shelter to
the people affected by the rise in water level, and
arrangements for medical and food facilities have been made,
an official said.
According to weather officials, clouds are not yet in
a mood to relent and more rains are expected over the day.
Met office said the next 24 hours are likely to see a
generally cloudy sky with a few spells of rain or
thundershower, one or two of which may be heavy.
Heavy showers also resulted in the maximum temperature
dropping to 28.4 degree Celsius, which is six degrees below
The minimum also fell and was recorded at 25.8 mm as
against yesterday`s 26.8 degree Celsius.
Humidity too was very high between 98 and 94 per cent.
The city has been receiving heavy rains continuously
for the past four days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands