Floral tributes paid to Babu Jagjivan Ram
New Delhi: Floral tributes were today paid to
freedom fighter and former Deputy Prime Minister Babu Jagjivan Ram at his memorial `Samta Sthal` here on the occasion of his 26th death anniversary.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, who is the daughter of late Jagjivan Ram, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment (SJ&E) Mukul Wasnik and Minister of State for SJ&E D Napoleon were among those who paid homage to the leader.
A prayer was also organised at the memorial.
Born in 1908 in Bihar, Babu Jagjivan Ram held various positions and headed several ministries in his more than 40 year-long political career.
He was the Defence Minister during the 1971 Indo-Pak war which resulted in creation of Bangladesh.
Jagjivan Ram joined Janata Party alliance in 1977 and served as the Deputy Prime Minister of the country from 1977 to 1979.
Following his footsteps, his daughter Meira Kumar also joined politics and became the Social Justice and Empowerment Minister in 2004.She became the first woman Speaker of the Lok Sabha in 2009.
A `Sarvadharm Prayer` was also organised at the Babu Jagjivan Ram Smriti Sansthan to pay homage to him
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!