FM office bugging likely to be raised in Parl
New Delhi: The issue of alleged bugging of
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s office is expected to be
raised in the monsoon session of Parliament beginning Monday.
An opposition leader raised the matter at a meeting of
the chief whips convened by Parliamentary Affairs Minister
P K Bansal earlier this week.
A senior minister said the government response on the
matter will depend upon the way any opposition request on the
issue is framed.
The alleged snooping of the offices of Mukherjee and his
aides in the North Block in September 2010 had triggered a
controversy with the opposition BJP terming it a "serious
matter" and demanding clarification from the government.
Mukherjee is said to have urged the Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh to order a secret inquiry into the "serious
breach of security in his office" in the form of "planted
adhesives" in 16 locations in a possible surveillance attempt.
The PM had directed a probe by Intelligence Bureau, which
conducted an investigation and found "nothing".
Meanwhile, with several court pronouncements seen as
encroaching the domain of the Executive, political leaders
cutting across party lines demanded a debate on judicial
activism during the monsoon session, which will continue till
Demands for debates on Mumbai bomb blasts, Telangana,
price rise, train accidents, coal block allocation, black
money and links of several leaders and intellectuals with ISI
operative and lobbyist Ghulam Nabi Fai were raised during the
meeting of chief whips on Wednesday.
As many as 35 Bills are expected to come up for
consideration and passing, while 32 new bills -- including
those on Food Security, Lokpal, Money Laundering and Benami
Transactions, are likely to be introduced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000