FM office bugging likely to be raised in Parl
New Delhi: The issue of alleged bugging of
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s office is expected to be
raised in the monsoon session of Parliament beginning Monday.
An opposition leader raised the matter at a meeting of
the chief whips convened by Parliamentary Affairs Minister
P K Bansal earlier this week.
A senior minister said the government response on the
matter will depend upon the way any opposition request on the
issue is framed.
The alleged snooping of the offices of Mukherjee and his
aides in the North Block in September 2010 had triggered a
controversy with the opposition BJP terming it a "serious
matter" and demanding clarification from the government.
Mukherjee is said to have urged the Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh to order a secret inquiry into the "serious
breach of security in his office" in the form of "planted
adhesives" in 16 locations in a possible surveillance attempt.
The PM had directed a probe by Intelligence Bureau, which
conducted an investigation and found "nothing".
Meanwhile, with several court pronouncements seen as
encroaching the domain of the Executive, political leaders
cutting across party lines demanded a debate on judicial
activism during the monsoon session, which will continue till
Demands for debates on Mumbai bomb blasts, Telangana,
price rise, train accidents, coal block allocation, black
money and links of several leaders and intellectuals with ISI
operative and lobbyist Ghulam Nabi Fai were raised during the
meeting of chief whips on Wednesday.
As many as 35 Bills are expected to come up for
consideration and passing, while 32 new bills -- including
those on Food Security, Lokpal, Money Laundering and Benami
Transactions, are likely to be introduced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview