Focus on `crying India and not shining India`: Antony
Thiruvananthapuram: Defence Minister AK Antony on Wednesday asked the media to focus on issues of people living in "crying India" and not only in "shining India".
"Most institutions, including the media, focus their attention on the happenings in `Shining India`. But there is another India that is `crying` in rural parts of the country," he said after presenting the K Vijayaraghavan memorial journalism award to Asianet Editor-in-Chief T N Gopakumar here today.
Antony said it is true that India has progressed since Independence, but there is another India where people suffer, and "social organisations should direct their torch light towards the sufferings of those people".
The award instituted in the name of Vijayaraghavan, former Associate Editor of Kerala Kaumudi, carries a cash prize of Rs 10,000 and a citation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened