Focus on `crying India and not shining India`: Antony
Thiruvananthapuram: Defence Minister AK Antony on Wednesday asked the media to focus on issues of people living in "crying India" and not only in "shining India".
"Most institutions, including the media, focus their attention on the happenings in `Shining India`. But there is another India that is `crying` in rural parts of the country," he said after presenting the K Vijayaraghavan memorial journalism award to Asianet Editor-in-Chief T N Gopakumar here today.
Antony said it is true that India has progressed since Independence, but there is another India where people suffer, and "social organisations should direct their torch light towards the sufferings of those people".
The award instituted in the name of Vijayaraghavan, former Associate Editor of Kerala Kaumudi, carries a cash prize of Rs 10,000 and a citation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees