Focus on delivery mechanism: NGOs to FM
New Delhi: Non-governmental organisations
for the first time met the finance minister for pre-Budget
consultations and asked for improvement in the delivery
mechanism of public services instead of just raising their
"We have asked the finance minister to use the Budget as
a leverage to improve the performance of service delivery. We
are not asking for more allocation, because we know that the
current allocation themselves are not being utilised," Rajesh
Tandon, President, Society for Participatory Research In Asia
(PRIA), told reporters after the meeting.
Tandon said that unless a system of improved performance
culture is created, mere additional allocation would not make
"Unless we improve the delivery of services, unless we
create a system of improved performance culture and unless we
use Budget to incentivise performance, additional allocation
will not make any difference," he said.
Development Alternatives Chairman Ashok Khosla said that
in addition to allocations, it should be kept in mind that
services reached the needy.
This is the first time that a finance minister has
invited NGOs for pre-Budget consultations. Ten organistions
representing the sector attended the meeting.
The Budget is likely to be presented by Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee on February 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!