Focus to provide high quality higher education in the country
Kochi: The focus of the 12th plan would be to provide quality higher education for children, Union HRD Minister Pallum Raju said on Sunday.
Speaking at a function here, the minister said "in the 12th plan the whole focus will be on quality of education for kids. We need to make quality education," he said.
Colleges and universities will be encouraged to get accredited, Raju said.
"We are encouraging colleges and universities to get accredited. We even had brought a bill which will make accreditation compulsory. Unfortunately, because of certain other issues in Parliament, it was not passed," he said.
There was 30 percent shortage of faculty in higher education and there was need to consolidate these aspects, he said.
"There are standards we will benchmark in terms of quality of faculty. Mobility of faculty was another aspect which the government was contemplating, i.e the faculty going abroad and those from abroad coming here. This would bring in the element of multiple experience," the minister said.
Pointing that there were several challenges and opportunities for India, he listed the young population of 55 crore kids below the age of 24 as the opportunity the country had.
These children can make significant difference not only for the country but all over the world. They can also contribute to the growth of the economy, Raju said.
Technology was playing a very enabling role in education, he said, adding, what was important was how you use the technology for personal and professional growth, he said.
Raju inaugurated the `Vidyajyothi Educational Encouragement Programme` at the St Teresa`s college here under which 250 free tablet PCs were distributed to students from 6 Assembly segments in Ernakulam district who had scored `A plus` in all the subject in the last SSLC examination.
The Right to Education Act makes it compulsory for every child to go to school. All states and centre are working towards this by 2013. Schemes like Mid day meals have been implemented which has led to gross enrolment ratio, especially of girls, going up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in