Fog engulfs Delhi, hits air and rail traffic
New Delhi: A heavy blanket of fog engulfed the national capital Sunday, severely affecting flight and train schedules. At least 41 flights were delayed and as many as 100 trains were running late, officials said.
"The general visibility was less than 50 metres for many hours early (Sunday) morning," an India Meteorological Department official said.
The fog triggered chaos at the airport and the three major railway stations. Commuters were left stranded at airport lounges and railway platforms.
The runway visibility was very poor in the early hours so no flight could take off or land till around 8.00 am. The visibility then improved and low visibility procedures requiring 150 metres visibility could be enforced, an Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) official said.
"The dense fog badly affected air traffic early morning. Flights began taking off as fog cleared a bit after 8.00 am," the official said.
Thirteen domestic arrivals and six domestic departures were delayed, an IGIA official said.
Four international departures and 11 arrivals were also behind schedule.
The fog took a toll on the railway services as well with about 100 trains running late.
"The fog all around Delhi has badly affected trains. Around eight trains have been rescheduled, 100 trains are running late by one hour. Some are delayed by over 24 hours. Around eight routes have also been cancelled," a Northern Railways official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read