Fog engulfs Delhi, hits air and rail traffic
New Delhi: A heavy blanket of fog engulfed the national capital Sunday, severely affecting flight and train schedules. At least 41 flights were delayed and as many as 100 trains were running late, officials said.
"The general visibility was less than 50 metres for many hours early (Sunday) morning," an India Meteorological Department official said.
The fog triggered chaos at the airport and the three major railway stations. Commuters were left stranded at airport lounges and railway platforms.
The runway visibility was very poor in the early hours so no flight could take off or land till around 8.00 am. The visibility then improved and low visibility procedures requiring 150 metres visibility could be enforced, an Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) official said.
"The dense fog badly affected air traffic early morning. Flights began taking off as fog cleared a bit after 8.00 am," the official said.
Thirteen domestic arrivals and six domestic departures were delayed, an IGIA official said.
Four international departures and 11 arrivals were also behind schedule.
The fog took a toll on the railway services as well with about 100 trains running late.
"The fog all around Delhi has badly affected trains. Around eight trains have been rescheduled, 100 trains are running late by one hour. Some are delayed by over 24 hours. Around eight routes have also been cancelled," a Northern Railways official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning