Foggy conditions in north India; toll reaches 425
New Delhi: The cold wave across North India
abated slightly with mercury rising by a few notches on Sunday
even as 17 more people died, raising the toll this winter to
All the fresh deaths were reported from Uttar Pradesh
which alone accounted for 396 of the total casualties so far.
A dense fog engulfed Delhi, Punjab and Haryana throwing
flight and train schedules haywire. Most trains bound for
Amritsar, Pathankot and Chandigarh ran several hours behind
schedule on account of foggy conditions.
Flight operations at Chandigarh airport were affected as
the visibility dropped considerably.
Amritsar in Punjab was coldest in the region recording a
night temperature of 1.4 Celsius, three notches below normal.
However, the minimum rose by several notches in many places in
the region. Karnal recorded a low of 3.5 degree Celsius, two
notches above normal, and Chandigarh 5.6 C, two degrees above
A thick blanket of fog descended on the national capital
in the wee hours today, dipping runway visibility to around
125 metres at the IGI airport.
As many as 30 domestic and international flights were
disrupted this morning causing inconvenience to passengers.
Rail traffic was also disrupted. The minimum temperature was
recorded at 7.7 degrees, same as yesterday, but the maximum
climbed to 20.6 C as against yesterday`s 17.5 C.
Meanwhile, people of Jammu and Kashmir had some relief
from severe cold conditions as the night temperature rose by a
few notches in several parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical