Follow due process to ascertain age of juvenile offenders: NHRC
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Friday asked all states and UTs to inform it whether due process of law was being followed to ascertain the age of juvenile offenders.
The Commission issued notices to the Chief Secretaries of all states and Administrators of Union Territories asking them to inform, within four weeks, whether due process of law, as laid down in the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, was followed to ascertain the age of juveniles in conflict with law, lodged whether in regular jails or Juvenile Homes, an NHRC statement released today said.
The notices were issued as the commission took cognisance of the issue after Dr Yogesh Dubey, Member, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights told it that during his visit to the Agra District Jail, 38 juvenile inmates claimed that they were below the age of 18 years on the date of offence for which they were accused.
Seeking the NHRC`s intervention in the matter, he also said that several juvenile were languishing in Chandigarh, Amritsar, Jaipur, Moradabad, Dhanbad and Lucknow prisons.
The Commission, in its notice, has observed that the right to determine the age of a juvenile, implicated in a criminal case, is ensured by the Constitution.
The Commission has also observed that the Magistrate concerned, also cannot act on the determination of the age by the Investigating Officer alone and send such juvenile or a child in conflict with law to a regular prison instead of a Juvenile Home.
If the determination of age by the Investigating Officer is accepted as final, it would amount to serious violation of human rights of a child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song