Follow Vajpayee`s path of reconciliation, Mufti to BJP
Srinagar: Rather than agitating against Article 370 of the Constitution, the BJP should walk the path paved by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and try finding an amicable solution to the Kashmir issue, PDP on Wednesday said.
"If anything, the (BJP) party must launch a campaign for speeding up the process initiated by Atal Behari Vajpayee rather than agitating against Article 370 of the Constitution. In a bid to score political points, the party seems to have forgotten its own role in trying to find an amicable solution to Kashmir problem," Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said.
He was addressing a public meeting in Pulwama town, 32 kms from here.
The former Chief Minister of the state said the threat of an agitation by BJP leader L K Advani against Article 370 amounted to a reversal of the gains made on Kashmir issue and Indo-Pak relationship since the then Prime Minister, Vajpayee, announced a ceasefire from Srinagar and extended a hand of friendship to Pakistan.
"If Advani must agitate it should be for carrying forward that process with speed and substance, rather than following the same zero sum game that has led us nowhere," Sayeed said.
Sayeed said Advani`s stance is an antithesis of Vajpayee`s call for a solution within `insaniyat ke dayire mein` (parameters of humanity) and his own initiative to hold direct talks with separatists, which was the first contact of its kind at that level.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!