Follow Vajpayee`s path of reconciliation, Mufti to BJP
Srinagar: Rather than agitating against Article 370 of the Constitution, the BJP should walk the path paved by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and try finding an amicable solution to the Kashmir issue, PDP on Wednesday said.
"If anything, the (BJP) party must launch a campaign for speeding up the process initiated by Atal Behari Vajpayee rather than agitating against Article 370 of the Constitution. In a bid to score political points, the party seems to have forgotten its own role in trying to find an amicable solution to Kashmir problem," Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said.
He was addressing a public meeting in Pulwama town, 32 kms from here.
The former Chief Minister of the state said the threat of an agitation by BJP leader L K Advani against Article 370 amounted to a reversal of the gains made on Kashmir issue and Indo-Pak relationship since the then Prime Minister, Vajpayee, announced a ceasefire from Srinagar and extended a hand of friendship to Pakistan.
"If Advani must agitate it should be for carrying forward that process with speed and substance, rather than following the same zero sum game that has led us nowhere," Sayeed said.
Sayeed said Advani`s stance is an antithesis of Vajpayee`s call for a solution within `insaniyat ke dayire mein` (parameters of humanity) and his own initiative to hold direct talks with separatists, which was the first contact of its kind at that level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened