Follow Vajpayee`s path of reconciliation, Mufti to BJP
Srinagar: Rather than agitating against Article 370 of the Constitution, the BJP should walk the path paved by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and try finding an amicable solution to the Kashmir issue, PDP on Wednesday said.
"If anything, the (BJP) party must launch a campaign for speeding up the process initiated by Atal Behari Vajpayee rather than agitating against Article 370 of the Constitution. In a bid to score political points, the party seems to have forgotten its own role in trying to find an amicable solution to Kashmir problem," Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said.
He was addressing a public meeting in Pulwama town, 32 kms from here.
The former Chief Minister of the state said the threat of an agitation by BJP leader L K Advani against Article 370 amounted to a reversal of the gains made on Kashmir issue and Indo-Pak relationship since the then Prime Minister, Vajpayee, announced a ceasefire from Srinagar and extended a hand of friendship to Pakistan.
"If Advani must agitate it should be for carrying forward that process with speed and substance, rather than following the same zero sum game that has led us nowhere," Sayeed said.
Sayeed said Advani`s stance is an antithesis of Vajpayee`s call for a solution within `insaniyat ke dayire mein` (parameters of humanity) and his own initiative to hold direct talks with separatists, which was the first contact of its kind at that level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi