Food Bill: Govt reaches out to political parties
New Delhi: With the Food Security Bill left pending in Parliament, government today reached out to various political parties hoping for a smooth functioning of both the houses.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath told reporters at the sidelines of a conference here that he had spoken to representatives of various political parties on important issues.
"Let us see if Parliament functions, because there are many important issues on which various parties have spoken to me since the morning," Nath said when asked whether he thought that the Food Security Bill will be passed today.
Asked if Prime Minister Manmohan Singh could give a clarification on the issue of coal block allocations today, he said, "No statement of the Prime minister."
Union Coal minister Shriprakash Jaiswal has already spoken on the issue and the government has already said that the Prime Minister will intervene whenever a debate will take place on the issue.
Later at the same conference, Union minister Girija Vyas said the Food Security Bill should be allowed to be passed.
"This is a historic Bill which has no equal across the world. This Bill will give direction to India`s progress. To make excuses is not right. Parliament is functioning. The minister has given his reply but ...Raising such questions and not letting the bill (pass) and not letting a morsel of food reach the poor is not correct," Vyas said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price