Food Bill implementation by year-end: Govt
New Delhi: The government today said it
plans to implement the National Food Security Bill by the end
of this year.
"We intend to implement the Food Security Bill by end of
December, 2012," Food Minister K V Thomas told reporters on
sidelines of an event organised by YES Bank and The Hindu
He said as per the projections of the Agriculture
Ministry, the government has enough foodgrains to meet the
requirements of Food Bill as well as exports till 2014.
The National Food Security Bill was introduced in the Lok
Sabha in December, and it is being vetted by the Parliamentary
The ambitious food security programme of the UPA
government aims to provide legal entitlement over subsidised
foodgrains to 63.5 per cent of the country`s population.
Once the new food laws are implemented, Thomas said, "The
subsidy bill will go up to Rs 1.12 lakh crore. The government
has capacity to absorb additional subsidy of Rs 3,000-4,000
For the current fiscal, the food subsidy is estimated to
be around Rs 88,000 crore, which will go up to Rs 1.09 lakh
crore with revision in 2000 census and 1993-94 poverty line
estimates, he said.
Foodgrain requirement under the Food Security Bill is
estimated at 63 million tonne.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17