Food Bill likely in December: KV Thomas
Chennai: The proposed National Food
Security Bill for providing subsidised foodgrains to the poor
is likely to be introduced in Parliament by December this
year, Minister of State for Consumer Affairs and Food K V
Thomas said on Thursday.
The Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) has approved the
draft Bill, which is now before the Law Ministry, he told
"Once that is done, it has to go to the Cabinet. We will
also discuss with the Chief Ministers, because they are the
implementing agency... then it has to go to Parliament,"
Thomas, here to inaugurate a CII conference, said.
"What I propose is to introduce the Bill by this December
so that it can be implemented from next year," he said.
The draft Bill, the UPA-II`s flagship project aimed at
making provision of food support to people facing hunger a
duty of the state, was earlier approved by the National
Advisory Council headed by coalition chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
Earlier, addressing the conference, "Building Warehousing
Competitiveness - The key to logistics success", Thomas said
the government plans to create a special purpose vehicle to
undertake studies on foodgrain storage handling and
"The Special Purpose Vehicle is for two purposes --- one
for the construction of godown and warehouses with modern
temperature control and the other is for the movement of
vehicles from the producing states to the consuming states,"
He said the Planning Commission was also undertaking a
comprehensive study to suggest measures for creation of modern
foodgrain storage infrastructure facility in the country.
With the modernisation of the food storage centres by
state governments, they were also looking to increase the
country`s annual production of foodgrains from the present 55
million tonnes to 60 million tonnes.
He said the ministry was also looking at increasing the
food subsidy from the present Rs 60,000 crore to Rs 1 lakh
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark