Food Bill should be passed only after proper debate: CPI(M)
New Delhi: Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar wants the Food Security Bill, pending in Lok Sabha since last week, to be passed only after a proper debate, CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said on Tuesday.
"Pawar is on record to say that this crucial piece of legislation should be passed after a thorough discussion. We are also of the same opinion and have moved amendments to universalise food security for the entire population," Yechury said.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar remarks came as a debate on the bill remained inconclusive for the second day today amidst continued disruption of Parliament.
While the government is accusing the opposition of creating hurdles in passing the bill "to end hunger", the Opposition is insisting on the resignation of Prime Minister and his cabinet colleagues Ashwani Kumar and Pawan Kumar Bansal.
"We strongly refute this charge (of disruption). While we will not be party to creating obstacles to provide food security, the government too should create conditions to end disruption in the House. There has been no such efforts so far," Yechury said.
His senior party colleague Basudeb Acharia said all parties had agreed in a meeting of Parliament`s Business Advisory Committee that the legislation should not be passed without a thorough debate.
"Government should not push it. Rather it should take initiative to end the logjam which has continued for long, but there is no effort from the government side to end the stalemate and brining the House to order.
"The only effort to resolve the situation was by Speaker Meira Kumar. Neither the Prime Minister, nor the Parliamentary Affairs Minister have taken any step in this direction ... Who will create conditions for having a debate on the Food Security Bill," Acharia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre