Food Bill should be passed only after proper debate: CPI(M)
New Delhi: Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar wants the Food Security Bill, pending in Lok Sabha since last week, to be passed only after a proper debate, CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said on Tuesday.
"Pawar is on record to say that this crucial piece of legislation should be passed after a thorough discussion. We are also of the same opinion and have moved amendments to universalise food security for the entire population," Yechury said.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar remarks came as a debate on the bill remained inconclusive for the second day today amidst continued disruption of Parliament.
While the government is accusing the opposition of creating hurdles in passing the bill "to end hunger", the Opposition is insisting on the resignation of Prime Minister and his cabinet colleagues Ashwani Kumar and Pawan Kumar Bansal.
"We strongly refute this charge (of disruption). While we will not be party to creating obstacles to provide food security, the government too should create conditions to end disruption in the House. There has been no such efforts so far," Yechury said.
His senior party colleague Basudeb Acharia said all parties had agreed in a meeting of Parliament`s Business Advisory Committee that the legislation should not be passed without a thorough debate.
"Government should not push it. Rather it should take initiative to end the logjam which has continued for long, but there is no effort from the government side to end the stalemate and brining the House to order.
"The only effort to resolve the situation was by Speaker Meira Kumar. Neither the Prime Minister, nor the Parliamentary Affairs Minister have taken any step in this direction ... Who will create conditions for having a debate on the Food Security Bill," Acharia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter