Food Security Bill is political gimmick: Rajnath
Guwahati: Critical of the hurried clearance of the Food Security ordinance, BJP president Rajnath Singh on Thursday said the UPA government was just doing a "political gimmick in a hurry" before the 2014 general elections.
Expressing surprise at why the government took the ordinance route instead of discussing the "serious Bill" in Parliament, Singh said, "The Lok Sabha election is near. The Congress-led UPA is taking populist measures. The Food Security Bill is one of them."
"They are bringing it through an ordinance. It is just a political gimmick in hurry," he alleged.
He wondered what prevented the government from taking up the Bill "for the last nine years" and holding a debate in Parliament and said the BJP wants a debate on this.
"This Bill has some lacunae. We want to pass it with some modifications. We want a debate on this," he said.
The ordinance on food security gives the country`s two-third population the right to get 5 kg of foodgrains every month at highly subsidised rates of Rs 1-3 per kg.
The Union cabinet, which had last month deferred a decision on the issue following differences, approved promulgation of an ordinance to implement the Bill.
The programme, when implemented, will be the biggest in the world with an estimated spending of Rs 125,000 crore annually on supply of about 62 million tonnes of rice, wheat and coarse cereals to 67 per cent of the population.
Singh also defended the Gujarat government in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, which has been termed as fake by CBI, and sought to enquire the victim`s link with terrorist groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj