Food Security Bill or Vote Security Bill, wonders BJP
New Delhi: Suggesting that the government has brought the Food Security Bill with an eye on elections, BJP on Monday raised questions over the landmark measure saying it has several flaws which needed to be rectified.
"This is a vote security bill not Food Security bill...," BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi said during debate on the legislation in the Lok Sabha.
Joshi said he was in favour of the bill but the measure brought by the government has flaws. "The flaws should be rectified," he said.
The former Union Minister raised concern over various aspects, including providing adequate food, to people.
"In 2009, the then President of India in his Address had talked about Food Security Bill. But you have brought this bill when you are going out...," Joshi said.
Wondering what is meant by "adequate food", Joshi asked how the government is going to ensure food security to people.
"What is adequate food? Is it going to be based on purchasing power, calorific value or nutrition?... You mention eligible households, why this `tamasha` (drama). What if it is only single person. You (the government) should clarify whether one person will be classified as household," he said.
Besides, he questioned where the funds would come from for implementation of the bill.
Emphasising that the bill should have the objective of providing universal food security, Joshi said so much noise should not be made that the country is providing food security for everyone.
"There is an attempt to mislead people...You are playing with the emotions of people. First determine what your priorities are and also consider the condition of our country," he said.
About 60 per cent of the population is dependent on agriculture but small farmers are committing suicide. In the last 15 years, more than three lakh farmers have committed suicide, he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in