Food security bill will not provide to each poor: Buddhadeb
Kolkata: Criticising the UPA government for not bringing in a full proof Food Security Bill, CPI(M) politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Wednesday said the bill would not provide food to each and every poor of the country.
"They (Congress) are creating a hype over the bill. But this bill is not at all full proof. They are saying that Food Security Bill will cover 75 per cent poor in villages and 50 percent in urban areas. We are saying this is not enough," Bhattacharjee told a rally here.
Slamming the Congress for trying to divide the poor on the basis of APL and BPL, the former West Bengal chief minister said the party is also responsible for price rise of essentials and said decontrol of petrol price was leading to a hike in the price of essential commodities.
"Decontrol of petrol is leading to price hike of essentials. In order to bring down the price of petrol, it should be controlled by the government," he said.
A few days back, Parliament gave its nod to Food Security Bill which seeks to provide highly subsidised foodgrains to the country`s two-third population as a right.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?