Foolish to say that women should be home-bound: Sri Sri
Thiruvananthapuram: Rubbishing the view that if women remained home-bound much of the violence against them could be avoided, Art of Loving (AOL) guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on Thursday said in a civil society women enjoyed all rights that men are entitled to.
"It is so foolish to say women should remain at home. I don`t agree with this theory. Women have the freedom to go anywhere of their choice any time," he told reporters here.
Reacting to queries on row sparked by some spiritualists by making statements on these lines in the wake of the Delhi gang rape incident, he said he also did not subscribe to the view that compared to cities villages were safer for women in India.
"Even in villages such things are happening. Sometimes they go unnoticed," he said.
He said he would not recommend death penalty for rapists as suggested by certain quarters since more and more civilised societies the world over were coming out against capital punishment."I am for life imprisonment in such case, not death penalty," he said.
Ravi Shankar, who has been in Kerala for the last few days, said the AOL would be launching a campaign to mobilise youth to organise "neighbourhood watches" for the safety of women.
Ravi Shankar said AOL also planned to spearhead a drive to organise youth against corruption in politics and awaken the voters to back the right candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!