Foolish to say that women should be home-bound: Sri Sri
Thiruvananthapuram: Rubbishing the view that if women remained home-bound much of the violence against them could be avoided, Art of Loving (AOL) guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on Thursday said in a civil society women enjoyed all rights that men are entitled to.
"It is so foolish to say women should remain at home. I don`t agree with this theory. Women have the freedom to go anywhere of their choice any time," he told reporters here.
Reacting to queries on row sparked by some spiritualists by making statements on these lines in the wake of the Delhi gang rape incident, he said he also did not subscribe to the view that compared to cities villages were safer for women in India.
"Even in villages such things are happening. Sometimes they go unnoticed," he said.
He said he would not recommend death penalty for rapists as suggested by certain quarters since more and more civilised societies the world over were coming out against capital punishment."I am for life imprisonment in such case, not death penalty," he said.
Ravi Shankar, who has been in Kerala for the last few days, said the AOL would be launching a campaign to mobilise youth to organise "neighbourhood watches" for the safety of women.
Ravi Shankar said AOL also planned to spearhead a drive to organise youth against corruption in politics and awaken the voters to back the right candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow