Football World Cup in Brazil united the world: PM Modi
Fortaleza: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday congratulated Brazil for successfully hosting the Football World Cup, saying the "beautiful game" has brought the world together.
"I convey my profound gratitude to our gracious host, President Dilma Rousseff, the people, and the Government of Brazil," Modi said at the BRICS Summit in this Brazilian sea-side city.
"Madam, I congratulate you for successfully hosting the Football World Cup. Truly, the `beautiful game` brings the world together," he told Rousseff.
Modi was invited by Rousseff last month to watch the final played at Rio de Janeiro.
Though he did not go to Brazil to watch the finals, he wished all the best to both the finalists -- Argentina and Germany.
Germany emerged as world champions in the finals on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend