Force should be used responsibly when tackling violence: PC
New Delhi: Asking paramilitary forces to tackle violence with "patience, tact and understanding", Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday stressed that the right to use force should be exercised responsibly.
In dealing with violence, he said, the state alone has the right to use force.
"If the state uses it force, it has to be used responsibly. The state cannot use excessive force. The state cannot use force against unarmed and defenceless people. These are the limitations that come with the right to use force," Chidambaram said while speaking at the Investiture ceremony of the Border Security Force (BSF).
He requested all paramilitary forces to "remember that while the state has power to use force, we must respect its limitations because if we do not observe the limitations of
the force, the people will question the intentions and the goals that have been set. The people will question the legitimacy of the state to use force."
He said violence is not new to India or any other
country and that one must remember that "we live in a very
troubled world" and a "very volatile neighbourhood".
He said that within India there are groups who claim
to speak for people with different causes and regard violence
"No one in the country other than the state has the right to use force," he said and expressed confidence that the country will be able to tackle terrorism.
He said the country has seen an 18-month period sans any major terror attack, except the Pune blast, or any major incident of communal violence. He said many modules of terror
have been busted during the period.
The Home Minister also awarded President`s gallantry and police medals to the BSF personnel and led the force and those present in taking a pledge against violence and
terrorism on the occasion of Anti-Terrorism Day today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!