Foreign arms dealers trying to contact Indian extremists: NSA
Bangalore: National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon on Monday said foreign intelligence agencies and arms dealers have been trying to contact India`s Left Wing extermist groups which are also trying to establish links abroad.
"LWE (left wing extremism) groups have been trying to establish links abroad through other Indian separatist or insurgent groups, particularly in the North-East, and foreign intelligence agencies and arms dealers have been trying to contact the LWE groups as well", he said.
India is also seeing a marked rise in communally inflammatory materials posted on the net, some of it maliciously manipulated and designed to inflame passions and provoke violence, Menon said delivering the Dr. Raja Ramanna lecture on India`s external and internal security at the National Institute of Advanced Studies here.
"These tools are being used to mobilise ethnic and religious groups, to incite communal violence and to destabilise social order", he said.
"While much of the malicious incitement came from within the country, the material used, the technologies, sites, and services involved and some of the incitement came from outside India", he added.
He also pointed to turmoil in West Asia, North Africa and the Gulf from where India gets over 60 per cent of its oil imports, adding the Muslim Ummah is getting increasingly disturbed and politically radicalised from Morocco to Indonesia through Malaysia, Myanmar, India, Pakistan, the Gulf, the Levant and North Africa.
"Our energy security is under pressure", Menon said.
He said the "disturbed state" of the Ummah should make India even more sensitive to the dangers of communal incitement.
"We have had an enviable record of communal harmony in India over the last eight years. However, there are worrying signs in 2012. Communal violence levels have risen", Menon said.
"While we have improved our capabilities and performance in several internal security tasks, external factors and influences are likely to make our life in India harder in the immediate future", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs