Foreign companies not needed to revive economy: Hazare
Panaji: Criticising Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for inviting foreign companies to the country to prop up the economy, social activist Anna Hazare on Sunday reminded him of Mahatma Gandhi`s idea of first improving the rural economy.
"Prime Minister says we cannot improve the economy without inviting foreign companies, which is absolutely wrong," Hazare said at the ThinkFest conclave here today.
He said that it was not fair to invite foreign companies to the country and hand over to them our land and minerals.
"Mahatma Gandhi had said that if we want to improve the economy of the country, we need to work on improving the economy of the villages," the Gandhian added.
He said that he had himself proved that working in villages could help boost the economy.
"I have worked in several villages without any foreign funding. In the villages where people were living with empty stomachs, we have brought about a change and now they are exporting vegetables," Hazare added.
"Not just corruption, but we have to tackle the issues like human rights and environment," the social activist added.
On the allegations that he was associated with BJP and and the RSS, Hazare said, "This is not new. The tree which bear fruits attracts maximum stones."
"I will walk on my path of truth. Let anyone criticise me," he commented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune