`Foreign Education Bill likely in Monsson session`
New Delhi: The proposed legislation to allow foreign education providers to set up campuses in India will "hopefully" be introduced during the current session of
Parliament, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Monday said.
"The draft of the Foreign Education Providers Bill was cleared by the standing committee this morning. Hopefully in this session we will introduce it (Bill), so that it can be passed quickly," he said.
Early passage of the Bill will pave the way for the foreign education providers to come to India from the next academic session, he told reporters after the inaugural
session of Australia-India Education Council here.
"We decided in April 2008 to set-up an Australia-India Education Council and that dream has been realised today. This is the inaugural meeting of the Council. The interaction of vice-chancellors is going to be an annual event," Sibal said.
The delegation, led by Senator Chris Evans, comprised 15 vice-chancellors from different universities in Australia, including Premier of South Australia Mike Ran.
About the Indo-Australian collaboration, Sibal said, "Essentially we are talking about collaboration in the field of education. We must have certain parameters which are common to both the jurisdictions (in India and Australia)."
Terming mobility of students as key to any successful collaboration between the two countries, the minister said the two sides agreed on a number of issues during the bilateral talks.
He said student mobility can be ensured only if there is assurance regarding quality of education and if qualifications are recognised. Otherwise, he said, such
mobility cannot take place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections