Foreign Educational Institution bill referred to Parl panel
New Delhi: A bill that seeks to put in place a mechanism to facilitate the entry and regulation of foreign educational institutions, has been referred to the
Parliamentary Standing Committee on Human Resource Development, the government said on Friday.
"The Foreign Educational Institution (Regulation for
Entry and Operations) Bill 2010, was introduced in Parliament
on May 3, 2010 and has been referred to the Parliamentary
Standing Committee on HRD," Minister of State for HRD Dr D
Purandeswari said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
Replying to a query on permission to foreign
institutions to operate in the country, she said, "The
proposed law seeks to put in place a mechanism to facilitate
the entry and regulation of reputed foreign educational
institutions and protect, inter-alia, public order, decency
On collection of data on higher education, she said,
"National University on Education, Planning and Administration
(NUEPA) has been given the responsibility to conduct the main
With the growing size and diversity of higher education
sector particularly in terms of courses, management and
geographical coverage, it has become necessary to develop a
sound data-base on higher education, said the minister.
The Centre has received 125 proposals from states to
set up model degree colleges in identified higher
educationally backward districts.
"Of these seven have been received from Maharashtra and
20 have been received from Gujarat," Purandeswari told the
Of the 125 proposals received by the UGC, 48 proposals
were approved, 44 were referred back to the state governments
for clarifications and additional documents, while the rest
were disapproved on grounds of ineligibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report