`Foreign nationals to consult consulates to seek surrogacy`
Mumbai: Eight European countries wanting to opt for surrogacy-assisted In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) treatment will be directed by a few city-based IVF clinics to
their respective consulates before starting the treatment, the doctors said.
"Our collective decision comes after the consul generals of Germany, France, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium and Spain notified more than ten IVF
centres in Mumbai not to offer surrogacy treatment to nationals of their countries," the doctors said.
The consulates had made note that surrogacy contracts were illegal in their countries.
"This awareness is important for all of us who are practising and come in touch with foreign nationals," Dr Anjali Malpani, an infertility specialist, said.
Most of the clinics that have received letters from eight countries` consulate welcomed the step taken by the European offices in India as several ethical issues regarding
surrogacy still remain to be clarified, she told a news agency.
Malpani said that most of the good infertility clinics already take precautions keeping in mind the problems that the new born could face in their respective countries and doctors
should be made aware of these facts, she said.
Malpani also said, "it was good that they (consulates) wrote to us to direct their nationals in case of any surrogacy request and we understand that it is purely in the interest of
the future of the babies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag's take on Kohli and Kabali will leave you in splits
- Hrithik Roshan's kids Hrehaan and Hridhaan emulate daddy dearest and we are loving it! See pic
- France's Francois Hollande says Munich shooting is a ''terrorist attack''
- BSF trooper shoots dead young Muslim woman in Tripura after unsuccessful rape bid - Know what happened
- Brazilian scientists found another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito