`Foreign nationals to consult consulates to seek surrogacy`
Mumbai: Eight European countries wanting to opt for surrogacy-assisted In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) treatment will be directed by a few city-based IVF clinics to
their respective consulates before starting the treatment, the doctors said.
"Our collective decision comes after the consul generals of Germany, France, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium and Spain notified more than ten IVF
centres in Mumbai not to offer surrogacy treatment to nationals of their countries," the doctors said.
The consulates had made note that surrogacy contracts were illegal in their countries.
"This awareness is important for all of us who are practising and come in touch with foreign nationals," Dr Anjali Malpani, an infertility specialist, said.
Most of the clinics that have received letters from eight countries` consulate welcomed the step taken by the European offices in India as several ethical issues regarding
surrogacy still remain to be clarified, she told a news agency.
Malpani said that most of the good infertility clinics already take precautions keeping in mind the problems that the new born could face in their respective countries and doctors
should be made aware of these facts, she said.
Malpani also said, "it was good that they (consulates) wrote to us to direct their nationals in case of any surrogacy request and we understand that it is purely in the interest of
the future of the babies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday