`Foreign nationals to consult consulates to seek surrogacy`
Mumbai: Eight European countries wanting to opt for surrogacy-assisted In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) treatment will be directed by a few city-based IVF clinics to
their respective consulates before starting the treatment, the doctors said.
"Our collective decision comes after the consul generals of Germany, France, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium and Spain notified more than ten IVF
centres in Mumbai not to offer surrogacy treatment to nationals of their countries," the doctors said.
The consulates had made note that surrogacy contracts were illegal in their countries.
"This awareness is important for all of us who are practising and come in touch with foreign nationals," Dr Anjali Malpani, an infertility specialist, said.
Most of the clinics that have received letters from eight countries` consulate welcomed the step taken by the European offices in India as several ethical issues regarding
surrogacy still remain to be clarified, she told a news agency.
Malpani said that most of the good infertility clinics already take precautions keeping in mind the problems that the new born could face in their respective countries and doctors
should be made aware of these facts, she said.
Malpani also said, "it was good that they (consulates) wrote to us to direct their nationals in case of any surrogacy request and we understand that it is purely in the interest of
the future of the babies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside