Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on Russia visit
Moscow: Bilateral issues, nuclear
commerce, international security and the situation in
Afghanistan figured prominently during the discussions Foreign
Secretary Nirupama Rao had with Russian First Deputy Foreign
Minister Andrei Denisov on Monday.
Rao, who arrived here on a three-day visit for regular
consultations, met Densiov and discussed issues of bilateral
Rao`s visit assumes significance as it comes just
weeks after the International Conference on Afghanistan in
Kabul, where both India and Russia opposed the involvement of
Taliban in the Afghan political process.
Ahead of the Kabul meet, Russia had clearly echoed
India`s view that "there is no good or bad Taliban".
It is presumed that Rao was also briefed on President
Dmitry Medvedev`s plans to hold a trilateral summit later this
month with Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and Afghan
leader Hamid Karzai.
Rao and Denisov discussed international problems and
ways to further advance the bilateral Indo-Russian strategic
cooperation in the light of the decisions taken at the Moscow
summit on December 7, 2009, an official statement said.
"The two sides stated the proximity of approaches of
their nations on key international issues and reaffirmed their
mutual intention to sustain regular bilateral contacts.
“They also agreed to jointly work in the international
organisations and multi-lateral fora in the interest of global
security and stability, effective response to the new
challenges and threats and in the formation of a multi-polar
world and a just economic order," the statement said.
No other details were immediately available about
Rao`s parleys in Moscow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder