Foreign Secy in Sri Lanka on three-day visit
Colombo: India is likely to take up the issue
of attacks on its fishermen from Tamil Nadu allegedly by the
Sri Lankan Navy during visiting Foreign Secretary Ranjan
Mathai`s crucial talks with the top leadership here.
Apart from calling on President Mahinda Rajapaksa,
Mathai, who arrived here Saturday night on a three day visit, will
review developmental projects being undertaken in various
parts of this country with Indian government`s assistance.
Mathai will also meet Sri Lankan opposition leader
Ranil Wickremesinghe and leaders of the main Tamil party TNA
during his stay here.
He will visit Sri Lanka`s north to inspect developmental
projects funded by the Indian government.
Officials here believe that Mathai, who called on Tamil
Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa prior to his Colombo visit,
would take up the issue of attacks on Indian fishermen.
Jayalalithaa yesterday conveyed to Mathai her serious
concern over increasing attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen
allegedly by the Sri Lankan Navy.
"Incidents of apprehension and assault of fishermen
belonging to Tamil Nadu by the Sri Lankan Navy should be
viewed not as an assault on Tamil fishermen, but as an assault
on Indian citizens and should be viewed as an act of
provocation and aggression against India by Sri Lanka, similar
to firing across the borders of India by neighbours such as
Pakistan and China," she had told Mathai.
Noting that 16 such incidents had taken place since this
May, she had said the attacks should be viewed as a national
issue and not an isolated problem of Tamil Nadu, according to
a state government release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog