Foreigner extended support to Naxals: Govt
New Delhi: An instance of a foreigner extending support to the CPI(Maoist) and its front organisations has come to notice, the government said on Wednesday.
Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh told the Rajya Sabha that one Jan Myrdal, a pro-Maoist Swedish author, had visited India in January this year and attended pro-CPI (Maoist) conventions in Kolkata, Hyderabad, Ludhiana and Delhi.
Singh said Myrdal supported CPI(Maoist) ideology of armed struggle against the state and spoke at length in a seminar in Delhi on the topic -- `Let`s stand against the Indian state`s war on people`, organised by `Forum Against War on People`, a front organisation of CPI(Maoist).
"Mr Jan Myrdal during his stay in India advised CPI (Maoist) to garner support from the middle-class in India by focusing on propaganda against security forces and highlighting human rights issues," he said.
However, there is no direct evidence to suggest that foreigners were engaged in an organised way to help CPI (Maoist) through NGOs in India, he said.
The minister said CPI (Maoist) had a number of front organisations active in many states and it resorted to over ground activities to mobilise support.
"It has also been noticed that when CPI (Maoist) activists are arrested in different parts of India, a concerted campaign is launched by sending hundreds of identical email, many of them originating from foreign countries. Some of these front organisations clandestinely receiving foreign funds cannot be ruled out," he said.
Singh said CPI (Maoist) has developed close fraternal ties with many insurgent groups in the Northeast especially RPF/PLA of Manipur and the outfit has trans-border linkages with certain groups.
"The government is closely monitoring the situation. Such issues are regularly taken up with the countries concerned at the diplomatic level," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM