Forestall China`s move to construct dams: Rajnath to Centre
Raipur: BJP president Rajnath Singh on Wednesday said India should counter China`s move of constructing a series of dams on Brahmaputra river by raising the issue at international forums.
"India should register a strong protest against the China`s move to build dams at Yarlung Tsangpo on Brahmaputra river and also take up the issue at international forums", Rajnath said.
He was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the concluding session of the three-day state level convention of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) at Naya Raipur.
"The Chinese move to build dams will prove disastrous for the downstream north east region. But the UPA government is still not taking up the issue seriously", Rajnath said.
Elaborating further, he said "India should either press for setting up an international water treaty with China or there should be a tripartite treaty between India, China and Bangladesh.
He said India should "scale down the level of diplomatic relations with Pakistan" in the wake of beheading of an Indian soldier along LoC and subsequent ceasefire violations by Pakistani army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India