Forestall China`s move to construct dams: Rajnath to Centre
Raipur: BJP president Rajnath Singh on Wednesday said India should counter China`s move of constructing a series of dams on Brahmaputra river by raising the issue at international forums.
"India should register a strong protest against the China`s move to build dams at Yarlung Tsangpo on Brahmaputra river and also take up the issue at international forums", Rajnath said.
He was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the concluding session of the three-day state level convention of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) at Naya Raipur.
"The Chinese move to build dams will prove disastrous for the downstream north east region. But the UPA government is still not taking up the issue seriously", Rajnath said.
Elaborating further, he said "India should either press for setting up an international water treaty with China or there should be a tripartite treaty between India, China and Bangladesh.
He said India should "scale down the level of diplomatic relations with Pakistan" in the wake of beheading of an Indian soldier along LoC and subsequent ceasefire violations by Pakistani army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...