Forget diplomacy, this is `enemy action`: Jaitley
New Delhi: Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley on Wednesday said Italy`s decision not to return its marines guilty of killing Indian fishermen was "enemy action" and urged India to "forget diplomacy" and take action.
Raising the issue in the Rajya Sabha, Jaitley also said that the government should consider action against the Italian ambassador.
"This is an outright fraud against the government of India and Supreme Court by a sovereign nation. This is a case of state-sponsored abduction," Jaitley said.
"They have broken every rule of democracy; it is time for the government of India to act. This now must be treated in the category of enemy action," he said.
He also said that since the Italian ambassador had given an undertaking in the Supreme Court, action could be initiated against him.
"The ambassador had on behalf of the government of Italy submitted to the Supreme Court. Once you have submitted, you don`t have diplomatic privileges," he said.
"The law minister may examine the post constitutional treaties, including Vienna convention... it cannot overwrite the Constitution of the country. We should forget diplomacy," Jaitley added.
The Supreme Court in February allowed the marines - Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone - to fly to Italy to vote in the Feb 24-25 national elections. The marines are guilty of opening fire and killing Indian fishermen, mistaking them for pirates.
The shooting incident occurred on Feb 15 last year, and the marines had been standing trial in India, first in the Kerala High Court and then in a special court appointed by the Supreme Court.
The apex court was given an undertaking that the marines would return in four weeks to face legal proceedings in India.
The Italian embassy on Monday informed New Delhi that the marines would not be returning to India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes