Former Air Chief Lafontaine dead, Prez calls him man of innovations
Hyderabad: Former IAF Chief Air Chief
Marshal(retd) Denis Anthony Lafontaine, a fighter pilot who
played a key role in 1965 and 1971 Indo-Pak wars, died of
heart attack today at his home in Medak district in Andhra
He was 82 and is survived by his wife and three
daughters. Lafontaine headed the Indian Air Force(IAF) for
three years from July 1985.
President Pratibha Patil condoled the death of
Lafontaine, calling him a man of "new thinking" and
"innovations". Lafontaine was cremated in his native village
in the evening.
In her condolence message to Lafontaine`s wife, Patil
said he oversaw major inductions in the IAF.
"A fighter pilot, his tenure at the helm saw major
type inductions in the IAF, including the Dassault Mirage-2000
and MiG-29. Air Chief Marshal La` Fontaine was known for his
innovations and new thinking that led to improvement in the
quality of training of pilots in the IAF.
"One of the first pilots of the IAF to fly jet
fighter, his various assignments gave him a variety of
experiences that he used well while heading the IAF from July
1985 to July 1988," Patil said.
Lafontaine was born in Chennai on September 17, 1929.
His grandfather as well as his father had served in the Indian
He joined IAF as a fighter pilot in 1950 and rose in
to become its 13th Chief in July 1985.
He was awarded the Vayu Sena Medal (VSM), Ati-Vishisht
Seval Medal and Param-Vishisht Seva Medal during his
Lafontaine had been staying at his home near
Brahmanapalli village in Medak district since his retirement.
Medak district Collector S Suresh Kumar laid a
wreath on Lafontaine`s body on behalf of AP government and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire