Former Army officers welcome VK Singh`s joining politics
New Delhi: Supporting Gen (Retd) VK Singh who shared dais with Anna Hazare on Friday, former senior army officers feel the former army chief will be able to regain the confidence of people after his battle with government on his age and give "right" direction to Hazare`s movement as well.
"I think since his Date of Birth (DoB) issue in the service, he had made his mind. Joining politics is not a bad thing... One should not think that ex-servicemen and retired Generals joining politics is a bad thing. My best wishes are with Gen Singh," Major Gen (retd) Sheru Thapliyal told a news agency here.
Pointing out that most of the American Presidents were retired soldiers, Major Gen G D Bakshi said "it is quite alright for a clean soldier like General VK Singh to come up and join politics. Soldiers and ex-servicemen should not be kept out of our political system."
Air Marshal (Retd) AK Singh called Singh`s entry into politics a commendable step and had a word of caution for him not to let it turn into his personal battle of honour and integrity.
"I think this is a commendable step if he fights corruption. But if it turns into another fight for personal gains, then people are intelligent enough to understand that," he said.
"There was lack of honour and prestige when he left the service. So, now may be he is trying to earn that back. If it works well, then it is good for both Anna and Gen Singh. But if it fizzles out, then Gen Singh will have to think again as he is trying to win the confidence of people," Air Marshal Singh said.
Seeing no harm in retired soldiers joining politics, Lt Gen (retd) RK Sawhney said "General VK Singh is a retired man, he can do whatever he likes. What is the harm in it (in joining politics)? General VK Singh has supported Anna`s views and it is his free will and prerogative."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj