Former Army officers welcome VK Singh`s joining politics
New Delhi: Supporting Gen (Retd) VK Singh who shared dais with Anna Hazare on Friday, former senior army officers feel the former army chief will be able to regain the confidence of people after his battle with government on his age and give "right" direction to Hazare`s movement as well.
"I think since his Date of Birth (DoB) issue in the service, he had made his mind. Joining politics is not a bad thing... One should not think that ex-servicemen and retired Generals joining politics is a bad thing. My best wishes are with Gen Singh," Major Gen (retd) Sheru Thapliyal told a news agency here.
Pointing out that most of the American Presidents were retired soldiers, Major Gen G D Bakshi said "it is quite alright for a clean soldier like General VK Singh to come up and join politics. Soldiers and ex-servicemen should not be kept out of our political system."
Air Marshal (Retd) AK Singh called Singh`s entry into politics a commendable step and had a word of caution for him not to let it turn into his personal battle of honour and integrity.
"I think this is a commendable step if he fights corruption. But if it turns into another fight for personal gains, then people are intelligent enough to understand that," he said.
"There was lack of honour and prestige when he left the service. So, now may be he is trying to earn that back. If it works well, then it is good for both Anna and Gen Singh. But if it fizzles out, then Gen Singh will have to think again as he is trying to win the confidence of people," Air Marshal Singh said.
Seeing no harm in retired soldiers joining politics, Lt Gen (retd) RK Sawhney said "General VK Singh is a retired man, he can do whatever he likes. What is the harm in it (in joining politics)? General VK Singh has supported Anna`s views and it is his free will and prerogative."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?