Former CJI Kapadia trashes Katju`s charge on phone tapping
Mumbai: Rubbishing Press Council of India chairman Justice Markandey Katju`s charge that he ordered tapping of the telephone of a former judge of Allahabad High Court, former Chief Justice of India S H Kapadia on Monday said as CJI he could not be expected to do "any unauthorised job".
"You can`t expect the Chief Justice to do any unauthorised job". Unless name of such judge is dropped, I cannot respond," Justice Kapadia said while reacting to Katju`s allegation in a blog post.
Justice Katju, a former Supreme Court judge, alleged in the blog that he had complained to Justice Kapadia about this judge (without giving his name). Katju said he got three mobile numbers of "agents" of this judge who were collecting money on his behalf. He also claimed to have given these numbers to Justice Kapadia and as per his (Katju`s) request, Justice Kapadia had ordered tapping of his telephone which revealed corrupt practices by the judge.
However, Justice Kapadia denied having ever ordered tapping of phones of the judge.
"As I have said earlier that I have transferred a number of judges (on various charges) but I have to follow a protocol. Unless a complaint is received in writing from some judge of the same court or other court with specific instance no Chief Justice can take action," Justice Kapadia told PTI.
"A letter has to come from the complaining judge about the corrupt judge with a specific instance. Thereafter I have to put my remarks and then forward it to my collegium. Such a proposal (for transfer of judge) would then go the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO)," he said.
"If no such letter about the judge (against whom action is sought to be taken) is enclosed, then the PMO will send back the file. So I have to follow the procedure", he said, adding "in this case, no such letter was received by me."
In his blog, Justice Katju has not mentioned the name of this judge in his blog. "I do not know whom he is referring to," Justice Kapadia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28