Former first lady Janaki Venkataraman dies
New Delhi: Janaki Venkataraman, who is
the wife of former President R Venkataraman, passed away on Friday
at a hospital in the national capital following brief illness.
She was 89.
Janaki breathed her last at about 1630 hours at Sir
Ganga Ram hospital here. She was admitted to the hospital on
August 10 following a complaint of chest infection, family
Janaki is survived by three daughters-- Padma
Venkataraman, Vijaya Ramachandran and Lakshmi Venkataraman.
Her last rites will take place tomorrow.
President Pratibha Patil, who is on a three-day tour
of Kerala, condoled her death.
In a letter to her daughter Padma, Patil said, "as a
first lady of the country she has performed here role with
utmost grace and dignity during the tenure of R Venkataraman."
R Venkataraman, the eight President of India, held the
office of the first citizen of the country from July 25, 1987
to July 25, 1992. He died due to old-age related illness in
January last year at the age of 98.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you