Former first lady Janaki Venkataraman dies
New Delhi: Janaki Venkataraman, who is
the wife of former President R Venkataraman, passed away on Friday
at a hospital in the national capital following brief illness.
She was 89.
Janaki breathed her last at about 1630 hours at Sir
Ganga Ram hospital here. She was admitted to the hospital on
August 10 following a complaint of chest infection, family
Janaki is survived by three daughters-- Padma
Venkataraman, Vijaya Ramachandran and Lakshmi Venkataraman.
Her last rites will take place tomorrow.
President Pratibha Patil, who is on a three-day tour
of Kerala, condoled her death.
In a letter to her daughter Padma, Patil said, "as a
first lady of the country she has performed here role with
utmost grace and dignity during the tenure of R Venkataraman."
R Venkataraman, the eight President of India, held the
office of the first citizen of the country from July 25, 1987
to July 25, 1992. He died due to old-age related illness in
January last year at the age of 98.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi